Gloucestershire Association of Secondary Headteachers includes the headteachers of all state funded schools in the county with pupils of secondary school age. Currently this includes 40 mainstream schools, 3 alternative provision schools and the Virtual School. The county’s special schools have their own association (GASSH) but can be represented at GASH meetings.
The Association has a full range of schools. 35 member schools are academies. Of the 40 mainstream schools 33 are comprehensive and 7 selective. 7 schools are single sex. 26 are 11-18 schools, 13 are 11-16 and 1 14-18. There is 1 Roman Catholic school and another which is a mixed Roman Catholic and Anglican Faith School.
The Association has the following aims:
- To support colleagues and to share expertise
- To debate and develop policy to influence national policy on matters of common interest
- To collaborate and work in partnership with other organisations e.g. Gloucestershire County Council, the Regional Schools Commissioner, Ofsted
- To develop future school leaders
- To raise achievement in Gloucestershire schools